RULES OF THE DOJANG (SCHOOL)
It should be understood by members of One Taekwondo that the purpose of these rules is primarily to ensure maximum benefit for the study of Taekwondo. These rules have been part of Taekwondo from its inception. If you breach any of the rules, persistently and / or perform a severe breach, we may have to cancel your membership and with a heavy heart.
- Always bow to your instructor when entering and leaving the school. This is to show respect and your modesty.
- Do not enter or leave the class without permission and acknowledgement from your instructor.
- Students must always bow before and after speaking to the instructor and use words of consideration such as “yes Sir” or “no Sir”, “pardon me [Sir]”, etc.
- All students are expected to be courteous and understanding. Advanced students must set an example to new students and to assist such students whenever necessary.
- Loud conversation, laughing excessively, smoking and chewing gum, for example, have no place in a Taekwondo school.
- Your uniform should be clean and pressed at all times
- Please exchange greetings between students to create a friendlier atmosphere.
- Any substitute teacher shall be treated as would your regular instructor.
- When standing in line, stand to the left or behind a student of a higher grade.
- Do not engage in any activity that might degrade the code of Taekwondo ethics and/or the reputation of the school.
- Do not talk to other students while your instructor is teaching and/or speaking.
- Ask questions to your instructor to clear up any difficulties.
- When returning after a period of absence, the student must seek the permission of the instructor before commencing training. Students who cannot attend class for one week or more should notify their instructor.
- When seated on the floor, knees should be tucked and hands should be on the knees.
- Students must remove all jewellery from their person before entering the Dojang to begin practice. We wish to avoid any collision and / or injury on contact with other students.
- Fingernails and toenails should be clipped short to prevent any injury. All students must observe a high degree of personal hygiene.
- Tuition, grading fees and/or license fees must be paid on time.
Students must adhere to One Taekwondo’s rules in order to maintain a high standard of etiquette and discipline.
1. ENTERING AND LEAVING THE DOJANG (TRAINING AREA)
- Face and attract the instructor’s attention and then stand to attention
Leaving During training:
- Ask the instructor(s)’s permission to leave
- Upon leaving the Dojang, bow to the instructor
- On re-entry to the Dojang, seek the instructor’s attention and then bow to the instructor
- Ask the instructors’ permission to rejoin the class
Leaving At the End of Practice:
- Follow the same procedure as entering the Dojang
2. WHEN PRACTISING WITH A PARTNER
- Before commencing practice, face each other, stand to attention and bow
- Repeat when training has finished
3. RESPECT TO THE INSTRUCTOR
When speaking to the Instructor (Sa bumnim) you should first bring your feet together (left foot to right) (attention stance) and raise your hand. After you have spoken to your instructor you should stand to attention and bow. Instructors have equal respect for students (they were Kup grades themselves once!).